Sunday, April 15, 2012

Bob's my Uncle.

I'll miss Bob Brown as Greens leader.  I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't.  But I miss Malcolm Turnbull as Libs leader, and Bob Hawke leading the Labs.  We always miss great leaders and the world is a poorer place when they retire.  But great leaders are never immortal.

Bob was one of those great statesmen, a phrase that's been bandied around all over the place.  He had class, charisma and spoke with a kind of clarity that's hard to come by in modern politics.  He was upfront and honest, but still retained that kind of quirky humanity, that underlying hippy Uncle who can tell you about the bad old days and how far we've come.  The Uncle who reminds you we've still got a hell of a long way to go, and maybe it's up to us to get there.

It was Bob's voice of reason that led me to vote for the Greens in 2010.  Amidst the scuffling and scurrying, the lies and frenzy of election campaigns I heard the calm tones of "this time I've voting Green in the Senate."  I don't vote for a leader, but Bob was speaking sense.  So I looked up the Greens policies and liked what I saw.

The Greens stand for what I think is right.

And when I go to vote again, I'll be voting for what I believe in, regardless of the leader.  Bob may be my uncle*, but the Greens are my political party.



*Bob is not my actual uncle, although I do have an actual uncle Bob, but that's a very different person.